Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Hallelujah! Time to Travel:)

July 9, 2013 will always be a special day to our family.  That is the day when our agency called us to let us know it was time to travel!

Here is how it played out:
I received a call around 8:30 am from 'A' at our agency.
Me: Hello
A: Hi Ashley- Time to pack your bags
Me: Huh?  What?  Seriously?
A: Yes, seriously!  You get to go pick up your son!  Do you want to conference in your husband to let him know?
Me: (In complete shock) Ahh...Yes!  (this is where I tried to call Dean on the other line, but he didn't answer.  As I tried to go back to 'A' on the other line I accidentally hung up on her!  Like I said I was in complete shock, I couldn't think straight).
Me: (Calling 'A' back) Hi 'A', sorry I accidentally hung up on you.  Dean didn't answer.
A: Have you thought of trying to surprise him with the news?
Me: That is a great idea--I'll try surprising him at work.

Needless to say, I couldn't concentrate at work.  Some of my co-workers had heard me on the phone and came over to see what the update was.  I was still in shock.  Some of them started crying once they heard the news but I was still hadn't shed a tear yet because it didn't seem real.  We've waited for this day for over 2 years and we finally were told to go pick up our son---it seems surreal. It seem with this whole process we have done nothing but wait and wait some more and finally we received some good news which is going to change our lives!

It is true, we have word to travel to pick up our son.  We travel in the next couple of days to pick up our  son and now are overwhelmed with all of the things we need to get do before we leave.

Since concentration on all things work related wasn't going to happen today I took the rest of the day off so I could tell Dean the great news then work on our visa application and booking our flights!

I decided to surprise Dean at work, so I called a few of the guys he works with to see if he would be at the office or in the field.  His boss said to stop by and he'd call Dean back to the office so I could surprise him.  I printed off a sign that said 'Daddy, Come Pick Me Up' and hung it above his desk.  His boss called him back to the office and I waited in another office for him to arrive.  When he arrived back at the office he saw the sign but thought the guys at work were playing some sort of weird joke on him.  He didn't comprehend that it was time to travel.  He was in shock like I was.

I'm finishing all the last minute preparations to pack for this trip of a lifetime.  The feelings we are going through are hard to explain,  I have complete joy, happiness, and anxiety.  It was a wonderful day and after we finally took it in that we were going to be leaving shortly to pick up our son we completed our visa application, mailed it off and booked our flights for July 17th arriving in Kinshasa on July 19th.





No comments:

Post a Comment