Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Heartbreaking.

My heart continues to break today for the Congo as I looked at blogs from families who have adopted from the DRC.  I know the DRC is poor.  Poor is an understatement, in fact it is one of the poorest countries in the world but seeing the true poverty is hard to comprehend.  6 out of 10 children will die before their 5th birthday. 
Heartbreaking. 
There are 5 million orphans who live in complete and utter poverty.  5 million orphans who can’t even have their basic needs met.  Orphans who if they are lucky may receive a meager 1 ‘meal’ a day (mix of beans or watered down formula).   
Heartbreaking.  
Orphanages that don’t even have enough beds for all the children.  There is one orphanage that has 130 children and only 15 beds (if you can even call it a bed). 
Heartbreaking. 
Orphans who will die because they won’t receive the inexpensive medication to combat malaria. 
I feel guilty for having been born in America, while these children are born in a war torn country.  I feel guilty for having a nice home while these children don’t have a bed to lay their head on or even a roof over their head.  I feel guilty that we have 3 vehicles and recreational vehicles.  I feel guilty that I have enough food to never truly know what hunger is and that I waste food when there are millions of children who don’t even receive 1 meal a day.  I feel guilty that I can go out shopping and in one trip spend what families in the Congo make in a year.  I feel guilty that I have been so complacent in life and have taken for granted what I have been blessed with. 
Heartbreaking. 
God has been opening my eyes more and more over the last year to the heartache across the world. I am thankful that God is breaking my heart for orphans and showing me where my priorities in life need to be.  I pray that God continues to break my heart for the orphans and shows me ways in which he will use me to help reach the least of these in the world. 
Video on DRC 

No comments:

Post a Comment